Comms & Programmes Volunteer
Role: voluntary (travel expenses covered up to £12.80 per day)
Hours: minimum one day per week for three months
Deadline for applications: 9am Monday 24 June
Expected start date: ASAP
We are looking for an energetic fellow tree enthusiast who wants to share their communication skills and experience in a voluntary capacity to benefit the UK’s trees, orchards and hedgerows.
The person will work with the small and dynamic Tree Council team based in Canada Water, Zone 2, Central London, to help us deliver our programmes and key messages.
The Tree Council is:
One of the UK’s leading tree charities, now approaching its 50th birthday. We work with our member organisations, volunteer Tree Wardens and others towards planting and caring for more trees of the right kind in the right places and inspiring effective action for trees at a local and national scale.
The sorts of things we need help with are:
- Drafting copy and generating ideas for The Tree Council's social media channels (Twitter and Facebook)
- Assisting the Head of Communications to write and build draft email newsletters using MailChimp
- Collating and writing up news from around our network of volunteer Tree Wardens, to share with Tree Wardens through social media, the website and the newsletter
- Writing case studies on individuals or companies who have donated to The Tree Council or received one of our community tree planting grants to help us secure further funding for our essential work
- Drafting and uploading news and updates to The Tree Council website (full training will be provided)
- Helping us update our library of training and induction resources for our volunteer Tree Wardens
- Supporting the team to plan and deliver events such as regional Tree Warden Forums
An effective Tree Council volunteer will:
- Be committed to the mission of The Tree Council of planting, caring for and promoting trees
- Be committed to volunteer with us for a fixed period and a minimum of three months – preferably joining the team in the office but a home-based arrangement could also be explored
- Have experience of office administration and be computer literate
- Have experience writing strong copy for an organisation
Ideally, you would also have:
- Experience with a website content management system such as Wordpress or Drupal
- Experience using and managing social media accounts for an organisation
- Experience of events management
In return, we will:
- Involve you in key aspects of our work, working together to protect and promote UK trees, and have fun doing it
- Provide all necessary training and induction
- Provide a contribution towards travel expenses (up to £12.80 per day)
- Provide an interesting and rewarding volunteering environment, with opportunities to grow your understanding of tree science, policy, communications and community organising
- Sit down with you at the start of your time with us to discuss your interests, skills, and what you want to get out of your time here, and how you can contribute to our mission through volunteering your time
- Where possible, invite you to join us on site visits to gain experience of tree planting and other Tree Council activities
- Plenty of good coffee and a fair amount of cake!
Please get in touch if you:
- Have experience in the responsibilities described above
- Can offer a minimum of a day per week for a minimum of three months
- Are proactive with a can-do attitude
- Are willing to provide general support to a small, ambitious team
To apply, please submit your CV and a one-page cover letter detailing how to meet the criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am Monday 24 June.