Learning through Landscapes (LTL) helps schools and early years settings make the most of their outdoor spaces for play and learning and believes that all children have the right to enjoy and benefit from well designed, managed and used school grounds. LTL gives young people a say in the way their grounds are used and improved, and supports school communities throughout the country to make the most of these valuable spaces. It also advises government, other charities and the business sector on how best to help.
School grounds are essential to children's learning and development, providing opportunities for healthy exercise, creative play, making friends, learning through doing and getting in touch with the natural world. Without LTL, many children could miss out on a chance to be healthy and happy in their formative years and to gather the experiences they need to be healthy and successful adults. LTLs surveys of schools who have improved their grounds demonstrate the benefits:
- 65% reported an improved attitude to learning;
- 52% reported improved academic achievement;
- 73% said behaviour had improved;
- 64% reported reduced bullying;
- 84% reported improved social interaction;
- 85% said that healthy active play had increased.