The Greater Manchester Ecology Unit (GMEU) provides specialist advice to, and on behalf of, the ten district councils that make up Greater Manchester on biodiversity, nature conservation and wildlife issues. Although hosted by Tameside MBC, GMEU works across the whole of Greater Manchester.
The Ecology Unit:
* Prepares and helps to implement the Greater Manchester Biodiversity Action Plan.
* Comments on the ecological impact of development proposals on behalf of planning departments, and provides advice on safeguarding wildlife on development sites.
* Identifies, surveys and designates Sites of Biological Importance in Greater Manchester.
* Advises other council departments and the general public on wildlife issues.
* Provides specialist ecological advice for, and presentation of evidence at, public inquiries.
* Inputs into the preparation of Local Development Frameworks and other plans and strategies.
* Provides advice on national and international legislation and planning guidance relating to wildlife and nature conservation, including protected species.
* Advises on the management of local authority owned land, including the preparation of site management plans.
* Provides training for local authority staff and others